Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sturdy Thirties

Ok so maybe this blog post should've come last year but I was too occupied freaking out about turning 30 and it's taken a whole year for me to truly embrace this decade of my life.

Yesterday, I turned 31 and I am not wasting another day worried about getting older. I never had a fear of turning 30, or so I thought. A little more than two years ago, I was begging to be let into the third tier, desperate to leave behind the immaturity, self-doubt and growing pains that made up most of my twenties.

Then I hit 30 last year and I suddenly began to have mixed feelings. Thirty just sounds so old but truth is, I don't feel old. Matter of fact, I don't even feel grown. Partially because I still don't have solid plans on a career BUT I can see my destination and most importantly, I am optimistic about the future.

What I've discovered in my first year of fabulous thirties is, I was able to let go of all the expectations I had about my life and just live it.

So, in honor of my thirties, I made a note of just a few things I learned the past 30 31 years:

  • Enjoy being alone. You can't expect anyone else to enjoy your company if you don't.
  • Trust yourself. People will tell you a ton of stories. If it sounds like a lie, it probably is. If it sounds true, it may be. Go with what makes sense to you. 
  • Love is an action. Having the emotion means absolutely nothing if it's not followed through with action. 
  • Learn how to treat people how you want to be treated. You're not perfect and neither is anyone else. 
  • Learn from your mistakes. Try not to apologize for the same thing more than once. 
  • See the world. Visit other continents and cultures. Learn to appreciate your own.
  • Embrace getting older. Young people eventually get old too. 
and last but not least... 
  • Smile. It's a curve that sets everything straight!

Gonna relish in this decade and determined to make it my best!

Photobucket

1 comment: